Secrets of Sudbury #1Web exclusive: Secrets of Sudbury. A is for Architecture.Summer 2011 A few of the city’s heritage buildings have missed the wreaker’s ball. Here are some favourites:
The former CPR telegraph and ticket office, Elgin St. at Elm St. W.
This building was constructed in 1914 and served as one of the largest telegraph repeating stations on the CPR line between Montreal and Vancouver. It is one of the best surviving examples of railway architecture of its time. Currently the building, owned by the city, is home to a Mexican restaurant.
Sudbury’s flat iron building: Moses Block, Elgin St. at Durham St.
Built in 1910 and rebuilt with a third floor in 1945 after a fire, Hascal Moses ran a jewelry and book store in this flat iron building. His son, Wolfe Moses, took over the building, which became a landmark as Wolfe’s Bookstore. The building also housed the local office of a fur company
Now the home of 50 Carleton, an advertising company and a restaurant, the flat iron building is painted a distinct greenish blue. The Moses flat iron building complements another flat iron-shaped building, home of the Ledo Hotel, at Van Horn and Elgin. The original building on that corner, another hotel, looked similar to the Moses Building.
Former Inco Club, Frood Rd.
This building built in 1938, served as a major focus of social activity in the community when it was the Inco Club This art modern/art deco building originally housed a fitness and social centre with a multi-purpose gym. The first productions of the Sudbury Theatre Centre were held in this building. For many years, the building was the home of the Cambrian Foundation. The building is now owned by a private business and used for offices.
Information for this article came from the City of Sudbury’s 1990 publication Heritage Landmark.