Sketch by Oryst Sawchuk
Sudbury’s flat iron building: Moses Block, Elgin St. at Durham St. was built in 1910 and rebuilt with a third floor in 1945 after a fire.
Hascal Moses ran a jewelry and book store in this flat iron building. His son, Wolfe Moses, took over the building, which became a landmark as Wolfe’s Bookstore, who operated the bookstore until his death in 18973
At on time, the building also housed the local office of a fur company. (Jack Leve Raw Furs was located on the second floor.)
Now the home of 50 Carleton, an advertising company, the flat iron building is painted a distinct greenish blue.
The Moses flat iron building complements another flat iron-shaped building, home of the Ledo Hotel, at Van Horn and Elgin. The original building on that corner, another hotel, looked similar to the Moses Building.
This building was at the other end of Elgin (across from train station). After a fire, it was rebuilt and it now the site of the Ledo.
The hotel was also owned by Hascal Moses, who sold it in 1949.
Hascal’a brother, George, owned Moses’ Men’s Wear.
Moses Block 1982