Delight with peppermint candy cane dessert
(NC) Peppermint candy cane could be the official taste of Christmas. For added whimsy, add a sprig of holly and a bow to make this dessert look like a festive wreath.
Candy Cane Pavlova
• 6 egg whites
• 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) granulated sugar
• 1 tsp (5 mL) white vinegar
• 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
• 2 cups (500 mL) whipping cream
• 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar
• 1/4 tsp (1mL) peppermint extract (optional)
• 12 to 15 mini candy canes (about 100 g)
• Dark chocolate curls
1. Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Trace a 10 inch (25 cm) circle with a marker on the parchment, then add a 4 inch (10 cm) inner circle. When marker dries, flip it over so that the marked side is facing down.
2. Whisk egg whites using an electric mixer until foamy. With mixer running, gradually add sugar. Increase speed to high and whisk until egg whites are glossy, thick, and hold stiff peaks; about 4 to 7 minutes. Stir vinegar with cornstarch until smooth. Whisk into egg whites.
3. Spoon mixture onto prepared sheet following the marker lines to create a wreath. Use the back of a large spoon to create indentations for the whipped cream.
4. Place pan in the oven and reduce temperature to 250°F (120°C). Bake 90 minutes or until meringue is golden and cooked through. Let cool completely.
5. Using an electric mixer on high, whip cream with sugar and peppermint until it forms soft peaks. Spoon into indentations in meringue. Roughly crack 4 candy canes into large pieces and sprinkle over whipped cream, then place 8 whole ones evenly apart so each serving gets a candy cane.
Find more delicious holiday recipes at www.walmart.ca/recipecentre