Capreol’s small-town friendly atmosphere, amenities, affordable real estate and attractive setting in wooded valley along the Vermillion River are attractive to people who enjoy small town life.
Originally, Capreol was settled by railway families and many of their descendants still live there.
Like most other communities in Greater Sudbury, many residents are of retirement age. In 2011, about 16 percent of the population are senior citizens.
Capreol, a CN divisional point in Northern Ontario and a stop on VIA Rail Canada’s route of the Canadian passenger service, was inducted into the Canadian Railway Hall of Fame in 2008. Transcontinental intermodal and merchandise trains change crews at the station each day. On an average day about 30 trains, some consisting of up to 140 cars cross Young St . Residents don’t mind because they’re know the importance of the railway to Capreol and the country. The VIA station is located at 8 Front St.
The citizens of Capreol and many friends and family from throughout the city celebrate Capreol Days every Civic Holiday Weekend.
Capreol will celebrate its centennial in 2018. The community is named for Frederick Chase Capreol, a British civil engineer who designed the Canadian Northern Railway. Capreol’s founding father, Frank Dennie, purchased land in the township when he learned the railway was building a junction where the rail lines from Toronto and Montreal met.
According to the book, Capreol: The First 75 Years, Dennie agreed to give land to the railway if it promised to make Capreol a permanent divisional point with shops, a roundhouse and other railroad buildings. This agreement is the reason CN was prevented from moving its rail operation to North Bay in the late 1950s. Several streets in the community are named after the Dennie family: Dennie, James, Lloyd, Clyde, Glenn, Randolph and Hanna.
The Town of Capreol was incorporated in 1918. In 2001, it became part of the City of Greater Sudbury, but this community, located 40 kilometres from Sudbury, has a rich history and its own independent identity. Capreol, which is part of Ward 7, has a population of 3,600. Residents keep up on the local news at capreolonline.com.
Capreol is represented by Ward 7 Coun. Mike Jakubo.
Young St. is one of the earliest streets in Capreol and it is still the main business section of the town. The Pro Hardware store is located in the former Audion Theatre, formerly the Imperial Theatre, which opened in 1919. The Royal Canadian Legion is located in the former location of Plexman’s General Store, one of Capreol’s earliest stores. Drago’s Store has been a fixture of Young St. since 1920 when it opened as a general store before evolving into a men’s clothing and family shoe store. It served the community for more than 80 years before closing.
CommunityCapreol Library and Citizen Service Centre Frank R. Mazzuca Branch 9 Morin St 705-688-3958
Capreol Public Library opened in 1972 in the former public school, a handsome historic brick building which dates back to 1919. The branch is named after a former mayor, a colourful politician named Frank Mazzuca. The branch is also a Citizen Service Centre where citizens can purchase dog licences, pay property taxes and parking tickets.
Memorial Community Centre Millennium Resource Centre 24 Meehan St 705-858-8888
Capreol’s Memorial Community Centre stands on the location of the town’s original indoor rink destroyed by fire in 1944. The current facility was built in 1949 and contains an arena as well as a community hall. The Millennium Centre building formerly housed Capreol High School.The centre contains a medical clinic, a fitness centre, a youth centre, training rooms, and computer facilities.
Northern Ontario Railroad Museum 26 Bloor St. 705.858.5050 [email protected]
At one time, the CN superintendent for Capreol had one of the finest homes in town. A group of citizens who wanted to preserve and celebrate the town’s history converted the home into a museum. Train buffs from around the world visit each year. There are numerous exhibits that showcase the importance of the railway in Northern Ontario and its impact on the local lumber and mining industries.
Prescott Park is located behind the museum. A miniature model train and full-size retired rolling stock are always popular with children and people who have a romance with trains. The museum is open daily from June to August or by appointment.
Capreol Walking Trail
The trail follows the scenic Vermillion River and is suitable in some places for putting in kayaks and canoes. At one point the trail branches off and becomes part of the Capreol Cross-country Ski Club trails.
Capreol Cross Country Ski Club 9 Morin St. 705-858-4289
Cross-country skiing was taking place in Capreol long before any official ski club was created. In 1977, the first ever cross-country ski club was formed in Capreol and many local residents became members. Throughout the club’s early years, there was difficulty maintaining the ski club, but in 1984, the club was revived and since then has continued to expand and grow. The cross-country trails were developed to accommodate the skills of experienced and inexperienced skiers. Being set among the hills, skiers can marvel at the gorgeous view of the Vermilion River while enjoying well kept trails.
Capreol Ski Hill Lakeshore St., Capreol Open January to March 705-858-5966
Capreol is neighbours with two northern ghost towns. Sellwood was a residential hub for workers at Moose Mountain Mine from 1901 to 1920. The town had a population of 1500, eight stores, a bowling alley, two hotels and electricity and telephone service. When the mine closed, many of the residents moved to Capreol; Sellwood was eventually abandoned in 1924. Milnet is another ghost town formerly located slightly north of Capreol. Devastating fires in the early 1930s at the town’s central employer, the logging mill, resulted in a dwindling population. (Source: Rainbow Routes)