notes from Shanna Fraser, city’s archivist
C.R. Judd Public School is located in Capreol. It is named for Chester Roy Judd (1896-1969) who began teaching in Capreol 90 years ago.
A native of London, Ont., Judd graduated from the London Normal School in 1919. After teaching in Sault Ste. Marie for two years, Judd left the profession to pursue a career as a chiropractor. Three years later, Judd returned to teaching, while continuing his chiropractic practice part-time.
On Aug. 11, 1926, Judd accepted the position of principal and teacher at Capreol Public School and began teaching Sept. 7, 1926. The following year, Judd married Esther Mossop ( 1900-2000). The couple had known each other while they were students in London. Ettie taught as a substitute teacher in Capreol. The couple had one son, Donald Leslie Judd.
In 1959, due to the rising population of the area, Capreol opened a new, four-room school and named it C.R. Judd Public School in honour of Judd, though he was never an employee there and remained principal of Capreol Public School until his retirement in 1964. After retirement, the Judd family moved to Thamesford near London.
C.R. Judd died Feb. 26, 1969, in Thamesford at the age of 72.
The public can easily access records collected by C.R. Judd by visiting the archives’ website at http://www.greatersudbury.ca/archives.