The city’s West End is a walkable neighbourhood located just west of downtown and centred around the intersection of Regent and Victoria and south to Byng. This is one of the oldest areas of the city. It was settled before Gatchell in the days when most people could not afford to own a car. Miners who worked in Copper Cliff caught the steetcar on Lorne St. It was an ethnic diverse neighbourhood and it still is.
The West End is a mature neighbourhood with many amenities nearby such as grocery stores, the Beer Store, drug stores, restaurants and bars. There are pleasant working-class single family homes and many apartment buildings. The lanes which run behind the properties give character to this neighbourhood.
Gatchell is the city’s first “subdivision”developed by the Gatchell and Holditch families in the 1920s and 1930s. It grew after the Second World War when Italian immigrants moved to the city to find work in the mines. Many of the neat two-or three-bedroom homes in this neighbourhood have bountiful gardens. Gatchell still has an Italian accent.
Queens Athletic Field
30 Regent St.
This park is named after Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mom who visited the city in 1939 with her husband King George. In 1941, the first night-time baseball game was held there. Today, it is used for soccer and football. In the winter, the track is flooded and it is a popular outdoor skating rink. There is a small toboggan hill. The Sudbury Indoor Tennis Centre is also located here.
Former Mine Mill Hall
Now owned privately and used for dances and special events, the Mine Mill Hall was the centre of the city’s labour movement for many decades. At one time it was home to the largest union local in Canada, Local 598 International Union of Mine Mill and Smelter Workers