Downtown was Sudbury’s first neighbourhoood. The city grew out from Station Rd. (now Elgin St.) Here one finds some of the oldest buildings in the city. These include The Rothchild Block at 7 Cedar St., across from the new School of Architecture. This building was built in 1915 by businessman Daniel Rothchild. His son, Sam, became the first Jewish player in the NHL. This was the location of the first LCBO in Sudbury after Prohibition. Today, the building is home to Fromergie Elgin, an arts studio, and numerous offices. The Downtown Sudbury (BIA) has an office in this building.
The former Wolfe Bookstore at 133 Durham St. is also noteworthy. it was built in 1907 perhaps inspired by the Flation Building built five years earlier in New York City. The building is currently home to Café Petit Gâteau and 50 Carleton, an advertising agency.
The Downtown core centres on Elm and Durham and includes Cedar, Lisgar, Minto and Elgin. (Did you know Sudbury’s “first” streets running north-south are named after governors-general and east-west streets are tree names?)