Downtown Sudbury has some lovely churches with deep roots in the community.
St. Mary’s Ukrainian Church (Photo by Terry Hayes)40 Notre Dame Ave. 705.675.8244
Sudbury’s St. Mary’s Ukrainian Catholic Church held its first services on the Feast of the Nativity (Ukrainian Christmas) on Jan. 7, 1971.
St. Mary’s combines traditional elements of Ukrainian churches with modern design. Earlier this year it was recognized for its architectural significance and given a Landmark Designation by the Ontario Association of Architects.
The church on Notre Dame Ave. was designed by John Stefura and with Carl Skerl, who worked for his firm as a student and for some time after graduation.
St. Mary’s Church replaced an older church on Beech St. which was built in 1928. That church was demolished as part of the Sudbury’s urban renewal.
St. Andrew’s United Church111 Larch St. 705.674.0721
Named after the patron saint of Scotland, St. Andrew’s, originally a Presbyterian Church, was established in 1889. The original church was replaced in 1910. That church was replaced in the early 1970 with a modern multipurpose building with a place for worship, apartments and commerical space was designed by Art Townend. The sanctuary has very good accoustics and is often used for musical concerts.
Church of the Epiphany (Anglican)85 Larch St. 705.675.2279
The church at 85 Larch St. is a designated historical building by the Sudbury Municipal Heritage Committee (SMHC). According to Sudbury Museums, the church began with a small congregation of followers in 1883. The first Anglican mass was held in a shack near the railway station. In 1890, a church was build on Larch St. The present church was built in 1913 with numerous renovations over the years. A fire gutted the building in 1987 and destroyed many of the beautiful stained glass windows. The Gothic style building was reconstructed after the fire.
Knox Presbyterian Church73 Larch St. 705.675.8891
This church dated back to the mid-1920s when members of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church who did not want to become part of the United Church.
Christ the King Catholic Church30 Beech St. 705.674.6447
This handsome church is the largest and oldest English Roman Catholic Church in Sudbury. It was established in 1917 when the bishop divided the French and English parishioners of Sainte-Anne des Pins. Masses were held in a temporary location until a new church, designed by P.J. O’Gorman, was built. The church, originally named St. Joesph’s Church, opened in 1929. In 1935, the name was changed to Christ the King. The church was gutted by fire in 1947 and rebuilt with drawings by Louis Fabbro. The church underwent a major renovation in 1970. It is handicap accessible, and is equipped with hard-of-hearing devices.
Sainte-Anne des Pins14 Beech St. 705. 674.1947
An ultra modern church, designed by Yallowega Bélanger Architecture, stands on the site of the Sainte- Anne des Pins mission, which was established by the Jesuits. Previous buildings were destroyed by fire. The church played a large role in the development of the city’s French-Ontarian culture. The rectory next door, built in 1883, is Sudbury’s oldest building and home to Carrefour francophone, the province’s oldest francophone cultural centre.